SEATTLE ART MUSEUM
Intern Position Description
TITLE: SAM GALLERY INTERN (UNPAID)
DEPARTMENT/LOCATION: SAM Gallery
REPORTS TO: SAM Gallery Director and Gallery Coordinator
PURPOSE AND GOALS: Assist staff with rental and/or sale of contemporary Northwest art to gallery visitors/museum
members. Represent the museum in a professional, friendly and informed manner which promotes the sale of art at the
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Greet visitors and promote gallery sales and activities.
• Assist visitors in viewing and selecting artwork.
• Assist staff in completing rental agreements and other business forms used at the SAM Gallery.
• Accept and document receipt of artworks from artists accepted by the Director. Gallery volunteers have no
authority to accept artists or their works into the gallery.
• Attend the training sessions at the gallery.
• Keep updated on the artists represented by the gallery, gallery showings and art news.
• Be responsible in meeting time commitments to the gallery and keeping the scheduler aware of changes in your
plans that affect your time in the gallery.
• Abide by the Bylaws and Procedures of the SAM Volunteers Association and the Standards for Museum Volunteers.
TIME COMMITMENT: 5-10 hours per week for a minimum commitment of 6 months.
• Training session with experienced volunteer and/or gallery staff.
• Training manuals are available which explain how to deal with the various printed and computer forms used in the
• Ongoing volunteer training sessions available to all SAM volunteers.
• Sales or promotional ability.
• Knowledge or interest in learning about contemporary art and Northwest artists.
• Basic money transaction/math and record keeping skills.
• Positive, outgoing manner; enjoyment of the public.
• Ability to accept supervision and evaluation of volunteer work.
• Basic computer skills required.
• Ability to lift and handle framed artwork (up to 20 pounds).
• Opportunity to meet with artists and hear them talk about their approaches and ideas.
• Volunteers are given a ten percent discount on purchases of art from the gallery.
Submit a letter of interest, resume and Seattle Art Museum Volunteer Application (available at
Mail: Manager of Volunteer Programs
Seattle Art Museum
1300 First Avenue
Seattle WA 98101-2003
Position closes April 15, 2009